Basil is one of my favorite summer smells and tastes, but since we’ve stopped eating pasta and cheese I have been in search of new ways to enjoy it. Adding it to our green salads is one way, but I wanted more basil in my life!
Thankfully, my daughter introduced me to Pho–and taught me how to pronounce it! She provided the skeleton of this recipe and added a little bit of this and that.
This Pho recipe checks off off all my recipe requirements: easy, delicious, economical, nourishing. I’d love to hear how you like it.
EASY KETO/LOW-CARB PHO
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced or chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 lb grass fed and finished, organic ground beef
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped/minced
- 3 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 medium zucchini, noodled using a spiraling device
- 1/4 tsp ground corriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground clove
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tsp mineral salt or to taste, depending on wether or not broth is salted
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup fish sauce I like Red Boat
- 4 cups beef bone broth
- 2 cups filtered water
- 3 cups basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 limes
- 1/3 cup scallions, chopped
- Saute onion in olive oil over low/medium heat
- Add beef and continue to cook, stirring beef to break it apart.
- As beef cooks, stir in garlic, ginger, salt, and spices.
- When beef is cooked through, stir in mushrooms and continue cooking for five minutes.
- Add zucchini noodles, broth, water, and fish sauce.
- Gently simmer soup for 15-30 minutes.
- Finally, stir in basil leaves just before serving.
- Garnish with chopped scallions and lime wedges